Join the team
Part & Full-Time Positions
San Rafael, California
Director of Programs
The Multicultural Center of Marin, an established and growing grassroots community empowerment organization in San Rafael, CA, seeks an experienced and motivated Director of Programs. The Multicultural Center of Marin works with immigrants and low-income families of Marin County to advance their social, cultural, and economic well-being through self-empowerment programs that encourage participation in the broader civic life of US society. Our programs promote leadership, economic development, and social, restorative, and environmental justice.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Programs will be responsible for the operation and success of MCM’s three program areas, ensuring seamless team management and development, program delivery, evaluation, and quality control. The Director of Programs will manage a staff of fifteen full and part-time employees.
Program Operational Leadership
- Oversee the implementation of all programs, including program evaluation plans
- Partner with the Executive Director and Director of Operations to establish program implementation timelines, manage effectively within these timelines, and provide updates regarding changes in timelines
- As a member of MCM’s Executive Team, partner with the Executive Director and Director of Fund Development, Director of Operations, Board, and staff to develop and align the strategic direction of the organization, program areas, and individual programs
- Assist with preparing an annual budget for each program, manage effectively within these annual budgets, and provide updates regarding changes in budget needs
- Assist in the preparation of project budgets, timelines, evaluation data, and program updates for proposals, reports to funders, and reports to the Board
Team Management and Development
- Develop and implement a system to evaluate the skill, experience, and professional development needs of all program staff.
- Work with the executive team to implement professional development and training for program staff to address employee experience and skill gaps.
- Work with staff to develop objective performance measurements to ensure consistent, high-quality evaluation and goal setting for all employees.
- Instill a sense of accountability among team members by modeling tight oversight of individual and organizational performance standards.
- Assist with recruitment and hiring as well as onboarding and orientation of all program staff
- Initiate and set measurable goals for programs according to the strategic objectives of the organization
- Plan the programs from start to completion involving deadlines, milestones, and processes
- Develop or approve program budgets and operations
- Revise evaluation strategies to monitor staff performance and determine the need for improvements
- Supervise all program and project managers involved to provide feedback and resolve complex problems
- Improve ways to enhance staff efficiency and productivity
- Inspiring staff to give their best effort and use best practices to achieve program success
- Apply change, risk, and resource management principles when needed to minimize organizational liability
- Read reports prepared by managers to determine progress and issues
- Prepares and submits required reports to Executive Director
Qualifications & Skills
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual with team and program management experience to help grow and further develop a proven grassroots organization. The successful candidate will lead programs, partner with the ED and Executive Team, and work collaboratively with staff members to build a strong complement of programs.
Specific requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree
- At least five years of experience, with three of those in a team management role.
- Demonstrated success in developing and evaluating program models
- Proficient in using technology as a management reporting tool and experience developing and implementing program evaluation systems
- Strength in managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility and performance
- Strong project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to detail
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for MCM’s mission
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Demonstrated leadership Skills
- Strategic mindset
- Ability to multitask
Benefits and compensation: This is a full-time position. Vacation time, Medical, and dental benefits are included. The salary range is $70K to $83K annually depending on experience.
Interested applicants should submit their application, resume, and cover letter by April 28, 2023, at email@example.com or apply here.
Environmental Justice Policy and Planning Specialist
Job Title: Environmental Justice Policy and Planning Specialist (EJPPS)
Reports to: Director of Programs
Classification: Part-time 20 hrs. a week (Hybrid)
(2-year fixed term April 2023-25, with a possibility of becoming FTE 1.0)
Compensation: $40K per year
The Multicultural Center of Marin (MCM) provides culturally appropriate resources and opportunities in a safe environment to empower and inspire diverse communities to build an inclusive and equitable county they want to live in. MCM supports the community with three major program areas: Youth and Family Empowerment, Community Resilience, and Arts and Culture. Additionally, MCM provides safety net programs for vulnerable and disadvantaged populations.
Policy and Planning Liaison
- Liaison between the collaborating project partners and community residents, specifically in the study and design related to the impact of sea level rise in their community.
- Report updates of a feasibility study from city and county
- Collaborate with other State Coastal Conservancy grantee partners to promote and advance policy campaigns
through the implementation of effective advocacy and engagement strategies
- Identify emerging policy priorities that impact the City of San Rafael’s Canal community related to the project
- Develop and maximize strong and effective relationships with key policymakers, staff, and community members
- Manage and maintain oversight of a Steering Committee
- Maintain a strong relationship with the Technical Advisory Committee
- Ensure that planning and policies are presented with a cultural competency lens
- Writing progress reports and administrative tasks as required
- Coordinate and Facilitate Focus Groups
- Conduct Community Workshops and Trainings
- Foster, coordinate and sustain community participation and involvement
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- Competent computers skills (Microsoft Office programs)
- Exceptional collaboration and organizational skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills (a relevant sample of work is required)
A minimum of 3 years in the following key areas is required
- Experience in environmental justice, preferably focused on climate change
- Expertise in managing projects, coalitions, and community groups
- Ability and experience working with vulnerable and BIPOC communities
Requirements of the Position
- Valid CA driver’s license
- Reliable transportation
- Provide proof of vehicle insurance
- Bilingual English/Spanish
For more information, please contact: Brenda Camarena, Human Resources Manager
Director of Operations
MCM’s Mission, Vision, and Values
The Multicultural Center of Marin Provides culturally appropriate resources and opportunities in a safe environment to empower and inspire diverse communities to build an inclusive and equitable county they want to live in.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Operations’ primary responsibility is oversight of a safe working environment and overseeing effective internal operating procedures across the agency, reviewing and assessing the agency’s protocols for clear communication and productivity. This position also requires working closely with the Director of Programs, and HR department to enhance and advance staff development and improve the agency’s work culture, and hiring process.
- Overseeing the day-to-day office operations with an emphasis on safety and compliance.
- Build and maintain relationships with leadership team members, clients, partners, and vendors.
- Create, implement, and update operational policies and guidelines to ensure it runs with legality and conformity to established protocols as needed.
- Coordinating with the executive team to create job descriptions, hire competent personnel, and conduct evaluations.
- Conduct staff development pieces of training to adhere to Environmental, Health, and Safety Policies and Best-Practices in the deployment of all work-related activities.
- Coordinate closely with ED and DFD to ensure that spending is in line with operational administration and program budgets.
- Collaborating with the Executive Leadership team to build an environment of collective responsibility and accountability.
- Provide supervision and support to Office Administrator and Facilities Attendant.
- Attend Executive team meetings, HR meetings, and any other pertinent meetings related to operations and agency.
- Implement agency response procedures and support directors and managers during and after an emergency within the organization and the community at large.
- Manage the front-of-house operations, as well as back-office administration for the operations.
- Enforce safety and compliance protocols and procedures.
- Adheres to labor laws, and maintains safe working conditions.
- Performs required administrative duties on time and meets established deadlines.
- Collaborate with ED, directors, and managers to develop and implement policies and procedures.
- Assist with fiscal activities such as budgeting, grant administration, reporting, and purchasing operational supplies and equipment.
- Present program services to the community and publicize accomplishments.
- Model appropriate team behavior and promote team spirit.
- Prepare and maintain site-specific policies, procedures, forms, and controls.
- Review program operations for cost-effectiveness, efficiency, and goal achievement.
Minimum Qualifications & Skills
- Minimum of a BA, MA preferred (Master’s degree in public administration, business, or related field preferred).
- 3+ years of managerial experience.
- Background in finance and budget management.
- Able to create and implement operational processes.
- Proven experience as director of operations or other managerial positions.
- Knowledge of Cal-OSHA compliance.
- Proven Admin, Human Resources, Accounts Payable, Worker’s Comp, and Payroll experience.
- Ability to engage with diverse populations in a respectful and culturally responsive manner.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects, priorities, and programs to completion in a constantly changing environment.
- A communication and management style that fosters team relationships and an interpersonal style that is service oriented and supportive of other departments.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously with high proficiency.
- Exceptional organization, leadership, and communication skills.
- Microsoft, Asana, and Airtable.
Compensation & Benefits
- FTE-40 hours/week
- FLSA Exempt
- Salary $70K to 80K DOE
Interested applicants should submit their application, resume, and cover letter at firstname.lastname@example.org
Information and Referral Specialist
Job Title: Information and Referral Specialist
Reports to: Office Manager
Compensation: $18.25 per hour • 12 hours a week
Fixed Term (approximately 1.5 years)
The Multicultural Center of Marin seeks an Information and Referral Specialist to serve walk-in community members and deliver high-quality customer service at the first point of contact for MCM guests and clients.
Role of Information and Referral (I & R) Specialist:
- Support community members/residents to identify and/or access community services, resources, and support, ensuring all who enter are welcomed with dignity and respect in alignment with MCM’s core mission and values.
- Serve as a problem solver in situations where community members/residents have critical and immediate needs.
- Serve as an agency resource of community services, resources, and supports for community members/residents, and to staff as needed.
The responsibilities of the Information and Referral Specialist are:
- Provide information and referrals (I & R) to community organizations and support on a first-come-first-serve basis to community members
- Assist and support community members in completing basic application forms, especially for monolingual Spanish-speaking residents
- As appropriate and needed, assist and support community residents to access, community resources, services, and supports by making appointments and linking residents to appropriate staff of identified community organizations (linkage)
The Ideal Candidate:
The Information and Referral (I & R) Specialist has exceptional communication skills (English and Spanish); a customer-first approach to every community member. Because this role is an essential part of daily operations at MCM, the ability to be present consistently is of utmost importance, with a sound knowledge of community services, resources, and supports in the areas of housing, rental assistance, existing emergency fund, food pantries, health services (physical, mental and substance use); clothing; immigration and other legal services; childcare; and education and training.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (English and Spanish)
- Ability to perform under pressure
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work with diverse populations
- Ability to work well independently, highly motivated, and a self-starter
- Ability to be flexible
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite applications and database management.
- Bilingual English, and Spanish language required.
Send a cover letter and resume to Brenda Camarena at: email@example.com. Please include Information and Referral Specialist. Only those candidates who are selected for interviews will be contacted. MCM is an equal opportunity employer. Our organization is dedicated to continuing to build a diverse team and we encourage applications from qualified individuals of all backgrounds.